You must have heard about the term “Carbon Monoxide Testing”. Ever wondered, what carbon monoxide is and why is it often advised to have Carbon Monoxide tested? Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a colorless and odourless gas, which is produced every time fuel or natural gas is burned. CO is produced in your home when you burn gas stoves, grills, small engines, and above all furnace and HVAC systems. The presence of carbon monoxide in the home can be life-threatening, humans and animals breathing the gas can be at higher risk.
Most homeowners recognize the signs and symptoms of Carbon Monoxide in the home. If you find it difficult to breathe at the home, feel nauseated, often cough inside your home, chances are you can be under the dangerous effects of Carbon Monoxide. According to a survey, about 2/3rd population of the world confessed that they would not be able to detect the presence of carbon monoxide in the home if such symptoms show up.
Why Is Carbon Monoxide Poisonous?
Maybe because the gas is capable of killing you. That’s enough as a reason, isn’t it? Carbon Monoxide causes a life-threatening situation by replacing oxygen in the blood. CO interrupts the supply of oxygen needed by the cells in your body. When your HVAC systems do not get cleaned properly, the extent of gas increases in your home. Following are the symptoms that tell you about the presence of Carbon Monoxide:
- Chest Pain
- Problem in breathing
- Blurred vision
- Upset stomach
- Mental stress and confusion
These are the signs you should never ignore. In such cases calling the professionals for Carbon Monoxide testing is the right thing to do. In cases of emergency, it is wise to turn off all the heating and fuel-based appliances inside your home.
Tips to Protect Your Home From Carbon Monoxide
Install Carbon Monoxide Detectors
When you have heating and fuel-based appliances in your home, make sure to install a carbon monoxide detector in your home. For the multi-story buildings, there should be one detector at every level including basements.
Maintain Your CO Detectors
Installing CO detectors is not the only thing needed, these alarms require maintenance too. Many CO alarms come with a battery backup these days to ensure the proper function, even if power has gone. But homeowners need to remember to change the batteries from time to time, as and when required. Or as suggested by the manufacturer.
Never Run Engines Or Ignite A Fuel-Based Appliance In A Closed Area
Avoid starting the car or letting up a stove or grill in the closed areas like a basement or garage, as there will be a shortening of proper ventilation, which may worsen the case. CO can become toxic quickly in such areas.
Have Regular Maintenance
A regular or yearly maintenance of your fuel-burning appliances is very important. First of all, you should hire the duct cleaner experts for the proper installation of your fuel-based appliances and have a proper setup of venting for each device. Plus, call the professionals once in a year for inspection to ensure your fuel-burning devices are working in the right manner.
Keep Your Ducting System And Vents Cleaned
This is one of the most important things in order to keep your home free from the poisonous effects of carbon monoxide. Make sure the vents and ducting systems are cleaned. It’s better if you take the professional services for duct cleaning. Professionals know the right ways to clean your ducts and vents, with the help of the right tools.
Hire Mark Duct Cleaners
If you are looking for the best duct cleaning company in Melbourne, Marks Duct Cleaning can be your best bet. Our cleaners are equipped with all the necessary tools and have all the sources to remove dust, debris, and mould from your ducting systems. We also offer Carbon Monoxide testing services and can serve you on the same day of booking.